Friday, May 29, 2009

I AM A NUYORICAN

The recent episode of MTV’s “True Life: I’m a Nuyorican” received much criticism from the Hispanic community. Many said it portrayed New York City’s Puerto Rican community in a negative manner, adhering to the multiple negative stereotypes found in our culture. The show featured three young Puerto Ricans struggling to find themselves in New York City. Naizsha, 18, was looking for a way out by joining the Air Force, Rose, 22, was struggling with identity, being a belly dancer who speaks no Spanish fighting pressure to adhere to traditional Puerto Rican culture, and finally Jose, 20, who is a high school dropout looking to make it as a professional boxer.

When asked to write this article, I read several other articles and blogs about the episode in order to try to understand what the hype was really about. I found overwhelming criticism against the show and the way it portrayed Puerto Ricans. However, I was not satisfied and could not in good faith write an article based on second-hand information. I searched the internet and found the full episode at http://www.mefeedia.com/, and decided to watch it for myself. I must admit, I did not find anything particularly offensive about the show.

Many would argue that I am wrong, however, those that find this show offensive have probably never lived or shared most of the experiences of the three young individuals featured in the episode. In the spirit of fairness, I must concede that not all Puerto Ricans live similar lives or share similar experiences. I, for one, am a Nuyorican. I have lived the life of those three individuals and shared in their story. I lived in a cramped house, and had my doubts about completing high school. I too, thought about pursuing a life of easy money in sports or entertainment, and even the military; I joined the Army. I too struggled, and continue to struggle with my identity as Puerto Rican by ethnicity, and American by birth. I speak Spanish, but prefer English. I do not dance salsa, and I listen to very little Spanish music. I completed high school, college, and I will now be starting graduate studies in law school. I live in the Bronx, yet I dream of leaving. I come from where they come from, yet I have succeeded. Despite any similarities, and any differences I may share with the three young people, they are, as I am, a “Nuyorican.”

MTV exposed the truth about many Puerto Ricans, though not all. In 1890, celebrated newspaper columnist and author, Jacob Riis, wrote a wonderful book, which I read, entitled “How the Other Half Lives,” in which he exposed the deplorable living conditions of New York City’s lower class. At the time, that book too received the outrage of many because it dared expose the dark secrets of New York’s caste system. The book was targeted at the upper half of New York’s population, the aristocracy if you would, thus the title “How the Other Half Lives.” MTV exposed to the world how our modern day other half lives. It can be discerned that Naizsha did not receive a proper high school education, and as a result lacks in maturity like thousands of other young people neglected by New York City’s education system. Jose is trying to use his talent to better his life in a neighborhood which offers little opportunity to anyone regardless of race, and at the same time fighting to stay alive. I actually live in his neighborhood and know what he is up against. Rose is struggling to find her niche, rejecting the traditional Puerto Rican stereotypes and assimilating into American culture. She receives criticism from both ends, one as a traitor to her race, and on the other as someone who does not quite belong. As Puerto Ricans, and more broadly as Latinos, we should empathize with them.

The show should not be demonized as portraying Puerto Ricans in a stereotypical manner, rather it should be applauded for exposing to many what is known by only a few. People need to see what we go through and what we must overcome. Those who have already overcome their obstacles must then be reminded of where they came from. Stereotypes are not myths or fabrications. They stem from some sort of truth, and if the MTV show conveys a negative stereotype of Puerto Ricans, then all the detractors and criticizers should focus their energy instead on empowerment and changing the stereotype rather than simply attacking it. The title of the show is ‘True Life,’ not ‘Politically Correct Life’, or ‘Socially Acceptable Life.’ If you do not like the state of true life for the millions of real life Nuyoricans, instead of criticizing, get up and make a change.

No comments:

Post a Comment